A little while ago I was rather humbled to be tagged by Paul of The Outdoor Adventure to answer the call of the Liebster award. In short, as Paul explained in his post, in an effort to share great blogs with more people, this “award” (a Blogstöcken meaning “blog stick”) has been passed around for nearly a decade. Each tagged blogger is asked to answer 11 questions, come up with 11 more of their own, and then tag 11 other great bloggers. Pretty sweet, eh?
So granted, I should have gotten to this a few days ago – but I’ve been on business travel and a scenic 9 hour Amtrak ride (San Francisco to Santa Barbara) gave me a great opportunity to tackle this.
Here we go:
- Where are you based? I am based in dynamic, awesome, and pretty geographically diverse New England, specifically New Hampshire. New England has been home all my life, and despite loving to adventure all over the country, I’m glad to call New Hampshire my home base.
- How long has outdoor adventure been a part of your life? The way my parents tell it, I’ve been camping since I was six weeks old. I grew up seeing camping, hiking, and outdoor exploration as normal as breathing. So, I’m currently at about 27 years’ worth of outdoor adventuring. It’s definitely gotten a bit more extreme in the past 5 years though!
- What’s your favorite outdoor activity? Hold on. You want me to pick just one? *starts to panic* I’m thoroughly addicted to three things: rock climbing, snowboarding, and anything that involves getting my dogs out and about.
- If I gave you raw fish to eat while backpacking, would you? No, but not for the reasons you’d think. I’m epically allergic to seafood and shellfish, so that raw fish will first give me hives and then make me stop breathing. I think I’ll stick to Clif Bars.
- Hammock or tent? Ooh, good question. I have to admit I got my first hammock ever this past year as a wedding gift and I haven’t had a chance to use it. New England is a pretty wet and buggy climate, so we tend to lean towards tents. But I’d love to give hammock camping a try sometime soon!
- Do you prefer to adventure with friends or solo? That really depends on the adventure. I love doing most things with others, but I prefer snowboarding (in bounds) alone. Rock climbing, kayaking, and most everything is better with friends… or sociable strangers.
- What stove are you using right now? This isn’t a pretty answer. I just use a giant clunky Coleman cooking stove right now. I haven’t done any camping recently that has justified the need for a sweet lightweight stove.
- What upcoming adventure are you most excited about? Acadia! My husband and I are headed up to the coast of Maine for 6 days in June. We have a sea kayak tour of Casco Bay planned and then 3 days of hiking, biking, kayaking, and climbing in Acadia planned for after that.
- When it comes to the outdoors, do you motivate others or do other motivate you? I’d like to think there’s a healthy mix of the two. I try to encourage and motivate others to get outside whenever I can, but my friends definitely motivate me to go bigger, do better, and get way outside of my comfort zone constantly.
- What’s the biggest fish you’ve ever caught? Haha! I don’t fish much, so my record is probably a 4 inch very angry little fish. I don’t even know what it was. It had some intimidating teeth, sharp scales on its back, and I’m under the impression it shouldn’t be eaten.
- Fess up. What’s the silliest mistake you’ve made while adventuring? Hrm. I’m relieved to say I haven’t made any mistakes too harmful, but I’ve definitely had my fair share of forgetting to bring enough water, not checking maps, and breaking in gear at the wrong times.
Alright, so now time for my 11 questions.
- What is your favorite piece of outdoor gear ever?
- Who got you hooked on the outdoors?
- If you could spend one day with any single person (living, dead, famous, average joe/jane) doing the outdoor activity of your choice, who would it be? What would you do and why?
- We all have a go-to food when it comes to powering our outdoor pursuits. What’s yours?
- You are never too old to learn something new. What outdoor activity is next on your list?
- Tell us about your favorite water bottle… or coffee mug.
- Have you ever seen a moose? Do you want to?
- What’s your go-to place of adventure? Like that one place that you’ve been going to for years and years, and you just about have local status.
- Who is your adventure partner? It’s perfectly okay if they have two legs or four!
- What is your favorite way of sharing your experiences in the outdoors with the masses? Photography? Video? Written accounts?
- What area should be the next National Park and why?
And here’s my lucky 11 (in no particular order, but all worth checking out)!